Tuesday, 11 September 2007

The Artist (Christmas card of miz k.d.)

This is me -- the artist! As you can see from the photo, I have to use a power wheelchair most of the time. I like this photo because it is over exposed and doesn't show all my wrinkles! After all, I am a senior citizen so it is normal to have wrinkles. Anyway, they don't keep me from doing my drawings on the computer. I used to use brushes and paints, but now my hands are much good for that so I have learned how to draw using a mouse.


I have hundreds of drawings of all kinds of things: flowers, butterflies, buildings, beaches, cats, dogs and all ages of people. I am going to start trying to post some of them to this blog. Sometimes I do drawings that are requested by family and friends and they pay me for the finished prints. I like this arrangement! I have also started making greeting cards out of my favourite drawings since people have asked me to. I get paid for these as well. This is very nice!



If you ever see any of my drawings posted here that you like and want to buy either a print or greeting cards of it, let me know. You can contact me at sallie@ican.net


I have a 13-year-old cat named miz k.d. She is a delightful nuisance. Since she is so available, she often gets used as a model. Just recently I did a drawing of her for one of this year's holiday cards. This is the result:





I was relatively pleased with the results, but when I showed it to miz k.d., she just yawned and went back to sleep! The title is "O Holy Night".

Sometimes I see pictures in the newspaper which really attract me -- often it's the eyes -- and then I will use the photograph as my model for a drawing. Recently, I saw a very moving photo of a military family saying goodbye and knew that I just had to draw it. This is what the finishsed result looked like:













I called this one "Goodbye and God Keep You". However you feel about Canada's involvement in Afghanistan, you can't help but be affected by the heartache that military families are going through these days -- especially the children.


Sometimes I like to draw things that make me laugh each time I look at them. I have drawings of children (often my friends grandchildren get to be the models) with cute expressions. There is one I call "The One-Eyed Prince" which always makes me chuckle no matter how often I look at it. Then there is another photo I saw in the newspaper and once again, I knew I had to draw it -- not necessarily because of the child's eyes, but because of the expression of the dog who was sharing the picture with the child! The drawing is entitled: "Best Buddies".











Of course, sometimes I feel like drawing flowers or water or something else equally relaxing. Truly I may not be a great artist, but my art work certainly helps to keep me sane (more or less that it!). Speaking of flowers and water, here are a couple of examples:




This is one of my more popular drawings and it is also one of my favourites as well. I am not really sure what kind of flowers these are. The Latin name for them is Poeticus Recurvus. If you know the common name for them, I would really appreciate an email message telling me. In the days ahead, I want to show you drawings of a lot more flowers, especially orchids. I truly do have a weakness for orchids because of the brillance of their colours.











This drawing is of a scene off the B.C. coastline. You may feel that it looks very familiar and that might be because it is a frequently used photo in the B.C. tourist materials. Sometimes when I am desperate for something new to draw in the middle of winter, I pull out my old tourist magazines and that is what happened in this case. Once again, it has turned out to be one of the more popular scenics. I entitled this drawing "Two Solitudes".









So, this is certainly enough information for my first ever blog attempt. Enjoy! Tomorrow, I will show you what I have been doing to get ready for Christmas! That's right, Christmas!



Blessings and Peace.




1 comment:

PhilipH said...

Hi Sallie,
I think you are highly talented. To draw using a pen or pencil is hard enough but to do so using a mouse is just amazing.

I found your blog via a google search for the meaning of Loosestrife which seems to invade like mad in my garden, here in the Scottish Borders. Your item on this plant explained it very well.

Regards, Phil