Sunday, 23 September 2007

Questions Answered

I have gotten a couple of questions recently from people who have been looking at my blog and so I thought I would start off tonight by answering one that I have gotten from several people -- what are my prices?

Well, first of all I guess I should mention the greeting cards since those are what I sell the most. An individual card cost $3.00 but you can get 10 cards (with envelopes) for $25. If you are getting 10, you can select up to five different drawings. If you just want to buy a few cards, the minimum is two of the same design.

Prints for framing are usually $25 for a 5x7, $50 for an 8x10 and $75 for a 9x12. Anything larger would be a negotiated price. And, of course, an individual order for a drawing from a favourite photo of yours starts at $50 and goes up from there depending on how much work will be involved. I occasionally am asked to supply sets of cards for a silent auction and then you get to keep whatever you make over my price. All my work, even the cards, are signed by me.

So, I hope that is not too confusing.

The next question was a very interesting one to me as an artist as someone asked if I ever complete drawings that I don't use or I don't like? The answer, of course, is yes -- frequently. In fact, tonight I will even show you some of the drawings that have never been requested by anyone. But first, I would like to show you one of the new Christmas cards that I have been mentioning for the past couple of days. Actually, this drawing is a recent one which I entitled "Thinking Outside the Box" and then decided after I had finished it that it might make a cute Christmas card. I added some holiday type things and now call it "Unexpected Gift".


These next few drawings are ones that people have requested on greeting cards but they show a certain aspect of my work that I have mentioned previously... my love for detail.
This first one is called "My Toronto" and it is the familiar skyline of my city as you view it from Toronto Island.





Then, going inside the city, I have a drawing entitled "My Neighbourhood" which was drawn using a photo of Toronto's version of the Flatiron Building.





Next is a view of some buildings in a Polish City which are part of a neighbourhood called Old Town (only there it is in Polish, of course!). I used "Old Town" as my title for the drawing.




Then there is a drawing of what appears to be a European city neighbourhood but which is actually taken from a photo of a city in Sweden. When it came to naming the drawing, I decided to call it "European Skyline" since it looks like so many places -- even Quebec City!




Now begins the viewing of some of the drawings rarely, if ever, requested.
This first one actually has been requested a few times but the subject matter is such that it has been chosen by people who have some special liking for Buddha statues. I actually entitled it "Dragon Flowers."

Now, the following ones have truly never been requested by anyone who has seen my portfolio and I think you will understand why. I do like dolphins and I have a drawing of a dolphin and a girl that people have actually requested on greeting cards; however, this is not the one! The title is "Dancing with Dolphins".









This next one was drawn for a particular purpose related to a local co-op. I based the drawing on a not-very-good photo taken of a mother duck who had chosen a rooftop garden as her nesting site and would not be deterred. After the babies were hatched, the animal control people were able to move them all to a better location. What amazed me about the mother, after years of identifying ducks in the wild, was the way she would elongate her neck when she was watching over her babies. It made her look almost like a goose -- something I had never witnessed previously. The title is "Co-op Squatters".

Now I will show you a really strange drawing. It was my first attempt to drawn Asian architecture. It ended up, after much work, looking like a doll's house and so I surrounded it with Bonsai trees. When viewing my drawings, people tend to skip over it very quickly! It is called "Bonsai Garden".









Staying with the theme of Asian architecture, I did this drawing from a newspaper ad for a Chinese festival. The ad included an actual photo of a Chinese dancer. What made me want to draw it was the position of her fingers! I really love trying to draw different kinds of hands and from the position of her fingers, I would guess that she may be what we used to call "double- jointed". I had a friend in grade school who could position her fingers like this dancer and I always thought it was so cool. I used to make frequent, painful efforts to make my fingers do the same, but all to no avail. This drawing is entitled "China Festival".











Another defunct drawing is my first and only effort (so far) at drawing an Arbutus tree. I saw a photo in a magazine about British Columbia and as I looked closely, I could see the image of a standing bear in the peeling bark on the tree's trunk. Trying to draw it and make it look natural was really beyond my techniques using a computer mouse. Maybe some day I will try it again. It is simply called "Arbutus Tree".











And, finally, there is another drawing I did because of hands. These are the hands of a wood carver and the drawing is entitled "A Carver's Hands". So often, after capturing the expression on a person's face, I move next to try to capture the expression in a person's hands.














I hope I have answered both questions to the satisfaction of those who enquired. Please feel free to send me more comments and questions. I really appreciate your feedback.
Wishing you all a restful night. May God bless you.

No comments: