Saturday, 15 September 2007

Variations on a Theme

Well, I want to get started on this now as I will be going out soon to hear a presentation by Jane Goodall. I am going with one of my dearest friends and I am really looking forward to an interesting evening.
LATER--

Finally, I am back home after a very enjoyable evening -- even the wheelchair transit people were on time! My only complaint is that I wasn't quite warm enough -- I had on a light jacket and I really needed a heavy one. Hard to believe that we are getting such cool weather already.

Anyway, now it is time to get started on our virtual tour for this evening. As I mentioned last night, I wanted to show some more examples of how drawn I am to bright and intense colours.
Even when I am trying to colour something that would normally require muted tones -- like houses and sidewalks -- I end up with something like this next drawing which I call "An Open Gate"



How subtle are purple houses and intensely green leaves?

Sometimes, when I draw orchids for example, I am able to restrain myself so that the colours are closer to those found in nature. The next drawing entitled "An Orchid for Betty" is an example:



But then the next time I do a drawing of orchids, I find I just have to use the most intense colours I can find. This next one is called "The Beauty of Orchids" and it actually glows -- even printed on paper, it still seems to be lit from within.



I can occasionally force myself to use more subdued colours when do drawings of flowers such as these "Daffodils".



At other times I am almost appalled at what I end up with. I get caught up in drawing and colouring and when I finally stop and take a good look at what I have done, I feel almost as though the drawing was done by someone else. This next one, which I called "Crazy Tulips" is a good example:



When it comes to drawings of people, I can usually be counted on to try to use colours that are suitable. However, all I need is just a bit of an excuse and here comes the intense colours once again.

The next example is a drawing of a dear friend of mine. Her heritage is Spanish and I guess the word "Spanish" triggered something that made me think of rich red. When my friend saw her drawing for the first time, she paid me a great compliment when she said that my work reminded her of some of Andy Warhol's drawings of celebrities! It is simply called: "A Spanish Beauty"



Sometimes I feel very justified in using brilliant colours as they seem necessary to help me express the emotions I am after. The next four drawings are of dancers. The first two are drawings of one of my lovely, young cousins who has been trained in dance. I wanted to show her in actual dance positions while at the same time adding elements that might help the drawing have more of a sense of movement.

In this first selection, I have her dancing on top of an Anemone. It is called "Floating on the Breeze"



The second one shows her hiding under the Dogwood branches as a Cardinal flies overhead. I did not even try to get creative with the name of this one and simply called it "Dogwood, Cardinal and a Dancing Girl"



The next two were pictures I saw in the newspapers. The first one is of a ballet dancer (obviously) and was photographed in black and white. In an effort to give a sense of movement, I put in a colourful background of moving shapes. It is called "Dancing on Air"



The final drawing of a dancer is one in which I just left the background plain and tried to give a sense of movement through the use of colours and the positions of her hair and her scarf and fan. This is, for reasons I won't try to explain at this time, called "Dim Sum"



That is the end of today's tour. Tomorrow I think I might do the entire tour just of drawings of flowers, including a couple of favourites with flowers and butterflies.

Until then, I pray you keep well and happy.

No comments: