Sunday, 21 October 2007

Aurora Borealis



Remember this drawing?

I almost didn't show it to you originally as I felt so unhappy about the finished drawing. I have tried to draw the Northern Lights several times since, but each effort seems to get worse -- not better. I know what I want to express -- it's those spiritual feelings I have experienced each time I have found myself surrounded by those incredible dancing "lights".

Oh, well, maybe someday I will find a way to do this on the computer. The title of this drawing, by the way, is "Before the White Man Came."

For some reason I was thinking about the Aurora Borealis today and so I went and looked at some of my collection of photos. That was when I decided I would share a few of them with you.







This first one is from a calendar I was
given last Christmas. Yes, December has already been scanned and saved into my Pictures file. I don't believe in wasting time. I mean, who knows, someone could have broken into my place and stolen the calendar back in June and if I had never scanned December, well -- you can understand how terrible that would have been to someone who collects pictures of the Northern Lights!







This next one is from a tourist-type magazine -- I think it was for Ontario and this section was obviously for northern Ontario.


I try to stay on the mailing list of as many of these types of magazines as I can -- anything that might have pictures of our far north in it.







Photograph no. 3 was clipped from the Toronto Star some time ago. It accompanied an article that obviously had something to do with the Northern Lights. I have long since forgotten what the article was about, but the photo has been safely stored ever since in my Pictures file!







This final photograph is one of my favourites. Any painting or drawing I might do in the future of the Northern Lights should contains many elements found in this picture.


One thing that none of these photographs show -- nor does my drawing -- is what it looks like/feels like when the waves of lights seem to be coming down to the ground, around your feet.


Certain events such as being bathed in the Aurora Borealis always bring to my mind the beginning of Psalm 19:


"The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth His handiwork; Day unto day uttereth speech and night unto night showeth knowledge; There is neither speech nor language where their voice is not heard; Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world."


May God bless you.

No comments: