Tuesday, 2 October 2007

Guardian Angels


Today is the Feast of the Guardian Angels in the Catholic Church (maybe some other churches as well). This is one of my favourite feast days as I am very fond of my guardian angel who continues to rescue me from one foolish thing after another! I wanted to use a drawing that was appropriate for the day; however, when I checked, all I could find was this one which I have already shown you in a previous post -- entitled "Angels"!

After a few moments of consideration, I decided that you wouldn't object to my showing it again. Of course, these are not real angels -- just two beautiful little girls all dressed up like angels for their Christmas pageant. I mean, I can't recall actually coming across a photograph of real angels that I could work from! Anyway, happy feast day.

However, this next drawing comes close to being an actual representation of a guardian angel. The model for this drawing was a photo in an article on foster children. I am uncertain as to whether this lady is a social worker or a foster mother, but either way, she looks an awful lot like an angel to me in the way that she has a protective arm around the girl -- who must be very unsure what the future holds for her. My title for the drawing is "Foster Child".

Turning our attention away from angels for the moment, I want to show you a drawing of flowers which I did some time ago. The title for this one is "Natural Hearts" because the leaves are heart shaped. By the way, this drawing went through a number of incarnations, I recall, as my friend, Sharon, helped me figure out which colours actually suited the drawing. I was ready to delete the whole thing at one point when she made the suggestion that saved it. So you have her to thank if this is one you particularly like.










Now I want to show you another one of those drawings inspired by photos in my mission magazines. The photo that I worked from was in an article about education for young women in different parts of Africa. These young women are listening to their teacher while seated on the floor -- and they are not just sitting there listening, they are taking notes as well! I find their determination to learn quite impressive and so I named the drawing "The Beauty of Education".








Going from Africa to the Maritimes, I want to show you a drawing entitled "Maritime Village". The distinctive thing about this drawing is the sky. As most of you probably know, it is very tempting to put all sorts of things into the scanner and then see what kind of image is produced on the computer screen. When I was working on this drawing, I found that I was having difficulty making the sky appear to be slightly overcast the way I have often seen it in towns along the coast. Trying to think outside the box about this, I suddenly thought of the texture of "swiffer" cloths used for dusting the floor. I put one in the scanner and ended up with what you now see before you in this drawing!

For my final drawing tonight, I want to show you one of the very first pieces of computer art that I ever did. Anyone who knows me would not be surprised that I chose to draw a tree. After I had almost finished the drawing, I realized that what I had created reminded me so very much of watching the "moonrise" on the Coosa River in Alabama. So I named the drawing "Southern Dreaming".













I hope you don't mind looking at all these older drawings with me. I am really enjoying going back and remembering what motivated me to draw these and what I learned while drawing them. I will show you some more from the archives tomorrow.


I am continuing to work on new drawings and will, hopefully, have one or two to show you soon. Remember, if you have a favourite photo that you would like a drawing of, you can contact me at sallie@ican.net


Wishing you peace and joy.






1 comment:

bwhiteway said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your daily art tour. Keep posting, and making beautiful art! (Loved the swiffer idea - brilliant!)

Brenda
Scarborough, ON