Monday, 15 October 2007

Middle of the Month!


















Well, here I am back again. I think I am going to make Sunday my official day off as there just always seems to be too much to do on Sunday. I mean, not only is there Mass, but Sunday is the best day for visiting people in the hospital and as you get older, there seem to be more and more of those!
Anyway, I am starting off tonight with a drawing that is not mine. This is a lovely illustrated capital that I found at a web site a few years ago and saved to my pictures file. It illustrates the letter "O" in the well-known Benedictine saying "Ora et Labora" which is Latin for "pray and work"

Now for my prayers and work!

By the way, in case you are interested, the reason the Catholics and Orthodox pray to Saints is to ask them to pray with us for specific intentions. For any of you who say the creed that mentions the "communion of saints" -- well, we really believe in the communion (communication) with the saints. Just as you ask your family and friends to pray with you for special intentions, we also ask the saints as well.

The first holy card tonight is one of two St. Joseph cards I want to show you. As many Catholics, I consider St. Joseph a very special friend and ask him to pray with me and for me in all sorts of situations. In the prayer that goes with this first drawing, I am praying for the grace to live purely according to my state in life -- which is what chastity means.

The drawing, by the way is in the style of icons.
































This next holy card is of another special friend: St. Anthony of Padua. One of the prayers that Catholic young people used to know, along with the Rosary prayers, the morning offering, the act of contrition and the prayer to your guardian angel was the verse to St. Anthony for the recovery of lost things. In this prayer, I take that little verse I've know for so many years and elaborate on it.

This drawing is patterned on the style of traditional, Italian, religious art.



































Here is my second St. Joseph holy card. The accompanying prayer is simply a request for St. Joseph to help me by bringing my petitions before Our Lord.
The style of the drawing is contemporary.












This final holy card for tonight is quite different from all the others. The drawing, while in the style of the icons, is also very contemporary. The model I used for the drawing was a modern-day drawing of a New Testament character who, to me, looked as I imagined Sarah, wife of Abraham, would have looked. Sarah has alwasy been a special person to me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that we share the same name. That's right, my real name is Sarah. I was nicknamed Sallie at a very young age and have been stuck with it ever since.




































So, I'm not really sure where I will go with salliesART from here. I have a few more older items to show you plus I am working on several new drawings as usual. I am thinking about maybe reviewing some of my favourites that I have shown you previously. We'll see... If you want to make any suggestions, feel free to write me as many of you already have.


For now, I wish you blessings and peace.




No comments: