Tuesday, 16 October 2007

A Strange Combination


Finally! I have been trying for quite some time this evening to get things to work correctly on this blog of mine. I was just about to give up and call it a day but decided to try one more time. This time it worked.


The items I am showing you tonight are a strange combination of things -- the last of my art work. So, after tonight, I will either have to start reviewing things I have already shown you or have pictureless posts until my next drawing is finished. Anyway, let me show you this strange collection I have gathered together.

This first item is a photo of a watercolour I did a number of years ago. I called it "Fresh Flowers". Strangely enough, I ended up in possession of this painting again after my sister's death. She had inherited it after our mother died and I inherited it after she died.

This next item is the last of my holy cards and is of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta. I am reading the most recent book published about her -- the one of her private writings concerning her struggles during all the years she spent in what students of the spiritual life call "the dark night of the soul". It is a powerful book simply because it reveals to us what a heavy cross that little, smiling nun was carrying all those years. I saw her at Convocation Hall back in the 70's and was charmed by the simplicity and sweetness of her words. I would never have guessed that she was struggling with such terrible darkness.

At any rate, this is a recent drawing which means I am not finished with it yet. Even as I am positioning it here in this post, I find myself thinking of ways I might want to change it. We'll see... The rosary is part of the drawing because you never saw Mother Teresa without a rosary in her hands.





























This next item is truly a strange one.

It is actually a photograph
of a photograph! The original photograph was taken by me back in the 70's and is, in fact, a picture of old bed springs sitting on top of the snow. At the time I was doing a lot of photography with a Nikon SLR 35 mm camera and I developed and printed my own film. This was printed on very grainy paper and was quite striking.








The final item tonight is a photo of a house blessing that I did back in the late 70's when I was first teaching myself the art of calligraphy. This was, of course, back in the days before all this kind of work could be done so easily on the computer.


There was a certain pleasure in forming the letters; however, that cannot be found in striking the keypad! Of course, I am no longer able to do calligraphy due to the arthritis in my wrists and fingers so I am grateful that I can still create beautiful calligraphy-type works with the computer.



So we come to the end of another posting. I truly have no idea what I will be saying and showing you tomorrow night -- it will be a surprise to us all!

For now, I wish you a quiet night and a tomorrow filled with all sorts of good things, blessings galore and much happiness.



No comments: