Saturday, 10 November 2007

Remembrance


Flanders Fields by Major John McCrae, M.D., Canadian Military (1872-1918)
IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

It seemed right to me what with tomorrow being Remembrance Day to use my drawing entitled "Poppies" and also include McCrae's famous poem IN FLANDERS FIELDS. Although I don't really like the idea of "taking up the quarrel with the foe", considering the time in which it was written, I guess there wasn't much else that could have been done.

So, I choose to remember all the many members of the Canadian military who have died in the terrible wars and conflicts of the 20th and 21st centuries as well as all those who loved them and had to suffer the terrible pain of their loss. I pray for them all and hope that the day will soon come when wars will be no more.

The drawings I am showing you tonight are all ones you have seen previously, but I haven't done any recent drawings with a military theme. This first one is called "Afghan Kitty" and the idea came from a news photo of one of our troops on patrol in Afghanistan last year.







This next one was also a news photograph. I call my drawing "Goodbye and God Keep You".



Everyone, even the little boy, looks like they are trying to be strong for each other. The wife, especially, seems to have that determined look that says I will not cry no matter what.


Following are two photographs from the recent Canadian Living magazine.

This first one is of an actual Tim Hortons in Kandahar for the troops there. I am sure it gives the soldiers a good feeling to be able to go out in the early morning for a cup of real Tim Hortons coffee!


I have many friends and acquaintances who really like Tim Hortons. I, on the other hand, usually go elsewhere for coffee because I am addicted to lattes. The best ones in my neighbourhood are made by my friend, Kelvin, who owns the Timothy's at the corner of Front and Jarvis. So good...





This next item from the magazine is an interesting list of facts about our Canadian forces.




It is good to be reminded about how many people are involved in the regular forces and in the reserves.


One particular bit of information that I wasn't really aware of is how many other locations, besides Afghanistan, our forces are represented in: 10, including Bosnia, Haiti and Jerusalem.



Finally, I want to end tonight's posting with one of the many earth-from-space pictures I have collected. This view, taken at night, shows Europe, northern Africa and the mid-East.



I thought this one was a good choice since it shows the actual land mass where many of our troops are located tonight.

What really interests me about these views (I have one of the north and south America side of the planet as well) is where all the lights are. Look at Europe and then look at northern Africa. What a difference!

Anyway, I am starting to ramble! I hope we will all stop for a moment tomorrow at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month to remember all those who have given their lives for others.

"Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me".

No comments: