Thursday, 6 December 2007

How did it get so late?


I will never understand where the time goes!
I sat down at my computer at 7 p.m. with plans to work a little bit more on my latest icon -- Christ in the Manger.
The telephone did not ring nor did miz k.d. come and try to get into my lap. I just had a lovely time working away on the icon without any interruptions.
I was just thinking to myself, with some surprise, that I seemed to be getting a lot done this evening in a short period of time.
Thinking an hour or so had passed, I thought that it would be a good idea if I posted to my blog and shared with you a draft of my latest drawing.
I looked at the little clock thing at the bottom of my computer screen and it appeared to read 9:54 p.m.! I knew that couldn't be correct and figured that my eyes had gone a bit strange from working on so much small detail. Surely I had not be drawing for three hours!
Well, you know the rest... I had been working for that long and the time has just slipped away. How does that happen?
Here it is almost time for me to go to bed. The evening that seemed to stretch luxuriously before me at 7 has now disappeared. Soon I will go to sleep and when I awake it will seem as though I just went to sleep a short time ago but it will be morning of a new day!
I remember as a child trying to get my head around the idea that God exists outside of time -- that in eternity, there is no time. Years later, when I was studying physics, I remember how impossible it seemed for me to try to mentally comprehend the theory of relativity. When I try to think of these sorts of things, it feels like my brain is getting twisted in a knot!
Anyway, enough of this. I really just wanted to show you how this latest icon is progressing. I still have lots of finishing up work to do, including putting in the Greek letters beside the Holy Infant and His Blessed Mother plus the Greek letters in Christ's aureole.
Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions about this drawing since I will be trying to finish it up in the next few days.
Now, I am off to play with time by going to sleep!
Wishing you all much peace and joy.

No comments: