Monday, 24 December 2007

Merry Christmas!



Well, the big night has finally arrived. Christmas Eve is here. And although you have seen this particular icon several times previously, I felt that it was truly appropriate to feature it again in tonight's post.

This time I am also including the blurb that is pasted on the back of the wooden plaque that displays the icon. I do this for each of the icons I have drawn as people always want to know a little bit about why the drawing is done a particular way and what the letters mean. It also gives me a place to sign the icon.





I am also including the first draft of a new icon. It shows Christ as an adult. I have never seen this particular image as an actual icon -- only a photograph of an icon, and I am still learning more about the origin of it. As I verify information, I will pass it along to you when I show the next stage of this drawing.
This kind of drawing of Christ is extremely difficult for me as all the focus is on the face which needs to carry the entire weight of the "message" of the drawing. Usually there are at least hands which can also be very expressive. But this one has only the face and the posture of the figure with which to speak the icon's message. I am not sure if I am a good enough artist to accomplish this. I will continue to work on it and show you the results.
I watched Midnight Mass from the Vatican. I remember as a child puzzling over the idea that it was already the next day somewhere else and it still seems a bit strange to me! However, it will be midnight here in a few more hours.
Before I go to bed, I will place the Baby Jesus in the crib of my Nativity set. It is my tradition to keep the Baby put away until Christmas Eve so all this time the Nativity set has been sitting there with the Mary and Joseph figures kneeling beside an empty crib. Tomorrow I hope to attend one of the many Masses of Christmas Day.
So, I wish you all a joyful Christmas Day and hope that you are able to celebrate with family and friends. If December 25th is not a special day for you, then I hope that you will have an enjoyable holiday from your regular work week.
May God bless you.

No comments: