Monday, 31 December 2007

New Year's Eve 2007


Just want to wish all my readers a Happy New Year. May 2008 be filled with much happiness and health for every one of you.

I received the following from a cousin as well as a friend so it must be making the rounds on the Internet this year, but I like it so I will share it with you:

May peace break into your house and may thieves come to steal your debts. May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills. May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips! May your clothes smell of success like smoking tires and may happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be those of joy. May the problems you had, forget your home address!
In simple words ............ May 2008 be the best year of your life!!!


Now, I want to show you what I have been working on for the past few days. I am sure you are not surprised that it is another icon!

You may think this is the same one you have seen previously, but you would be wrong. It is simply another version of the same type of icon. The first one was called "Our Lady of Tender Mercy" while this one is called "Our Lady of Tenderness".


Both icons are my attempts to draw modern versions of the ancient Marian icon known as "Our Lady of Vladimir". The many icons that have appeared over the centuries in this tradition are know as Mother of God Eleusa icons. The Greek work eleusa means "compassionate one" implying intimacy, gentleness and grace.


As the experts tell us, icons are never simply made for the sake of decoration or sale. A true icon is an expression of prayer and long contemplation. Traditionally, the artist writes (paints) the image while fasting and observing silence, in a spirit of obedience to the Word of God and the spirit of chastity.


Icons have been described as windows to the divine.

My icons are but poor imitations of the real thing. This latest one appears here in its first draft, waiting to be worked on further by me. I, meanwhile, am waiting and hoping that someone out there will give me some feedback on this first draft and maybe even make some suggestions about how I might improve it! Just by posting it here, I can already see some areas that need additional work, but I would still like to hear from you.

Anyway, that is enough of an art history class for tonight. I need to go and get ready to watch the ball fall at midnight. For those of you in the Toronto area, I hope you all get home before the predicted snow storm gets too bad!


May God bless you all and keep you safe in 2008.



No comments: