Sunday, 13 January 2008

Weather Woes

This cartoon (above) was in today's Toronto Star newspaper. It is so true of what our weather has been like -- especially these past weeks.

A week and a half ago, the daytime high was something like -25 C (factoring in the wind chill). Less than a week later, the temperature was 16 C (almost 60 F)! The past few days have had above normal temperatures once again, but snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow. By this time next week, we will supposedly have record-breaking cold weather again! Mixed in with all this has been high winds so strong that signs were blowing off downtown skyscrapers! Truly, it takes real detective work to figure out how much or how little clothing you need each day before going out.

In spite of all this crazy weather, I have been feeling much better and so have been able to get a bit more work done on the computer.

I got some really helpful comments from a friend about my recent icon drawings and I have been trying to make changes as suggested.




These two icons are still not finished, but I feel that I am making progress on them.

The one of St. Peter now contains the Greek for his name. As well, I have changed the colours in his clothing in an effort to give more of a contrast between the foreground and background.

As many of you may be aware, when St. Peter was to be martyred by crucifixion, he asked to be crucified upside down since he felt he was unworthy to be crucified in the same way as his Lord, Christ Jesus. Thus, I have tried to indicate this by showing an upside down Eastern cross on the end of his staff. I am not sure that this works so would appreciate some comments on whether what I have done is effective or confusing.




I have also done some editing on this most recent version of the Pantocrater-type icon.

The background colour has been softened and brightened. I have also been working on the facial expression in an effort to convey both solemnity and wisdom.

This is definitely the part of "drawing" icons that requires prayer as I realize that I am trying to give human expression to something that is, in truth, inexpressible.

As always, any additional suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated




Finally tonight, I want to show you a very recent drawing. This is the type of drawing that I do when I want to relax.

This is obviously a still life and I have, in fact, entitled it "Floral Still Life". As you can see, I haven't lost my ability to create really clever names!

The design is such that it provides me with a lot of opportunity to play with colour -- mostly variations of pink and blue -- in this first draft. After I live with it for a few days I may well decide to make changes. Once again, your feedback would be appreciated.






So I come to the end of another posting. God willing, I will post again on Tuesday.

Until then I wish you peace, joy and more predictable weather than we are having here in Ontario!

No comments: