Monday, 21 January 2008

Countdown!


Well, this time tomorrow I will be at the dental clinic and the nurse will be preparing me for some serious sedation. The IV will be started and I will, thankfully, be asleep for the dental surgery that will be performed. When I awaken, it will all be over with except for the pain and the healing.
In an effort to keep from thinking about it, I have been continuing to spend a lot of time on the computer, working on drawings. I reach the first draft stage on one drawing and then move on to something new.
Like the drawing above.
I am calling it "Doggy with Best Friend" for the time being -- maybe even permanently. I need to live with it for a few days before I decide.
This next drawing is a rather strange one.


Recently, while looking through a collection of Greek and Russian icons, I came upon one that really surprised me.

I was so taken with it that I decided to try to draw it. The drawing you see is the resulting first-draft.

The icon that I used as my model had a lot more Greek writing at the top on both sides and if I am ever able to figure out what all the letters are, I will add them to my drawing.

What this icon made me think of the moment I saw it was what Catholics and Orthodox believe happens during the Liturgy (Mass). The words of the Liturgy, spoken by the ordained priest, actually change the elements of bread and wine into the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ.

As strange as this belief must seem to those who do not share it, it is, for those who believe, an unbelieveably holy and sacred event -- for what we believe happens is that God truly becomes present on the altar.

That is why this icon affected me so profoundly.

I have not done it justice so far and I know I will be working on improving the drawing for some time yet. As always, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Meanwhile I need to think about getting everything organized for the morning. Wheeltrans will be picking me up fairly early.

I hope I will be posting again on the 23rd; however, that will depend on how I am feeling.

Until then, I wish you all peace and joy.

No comments: