Tuesday, 1 January 2008

A Work in Progress


This drawing is not what I consider to be a work in progress, but is, instead, the first draft of a completed work.


I finished drawing this picture, entitled "Bunny and Me" about a week ago. As I have mentioned previously, whenever I finish drawing another icon, I take a break from the intensity of that type of drawing by drawing something that makes me feel happy.

As you may recall, this is the third drawing of 2007 which featured a bunny rabbit. Not sure why I am feeling attracted to drawing bunnies these days -- who knows. Maybe it is because bunnies are one of the few wild animals that are not presently being driven to the point of extinction!

Anyway, what caused me to choose the title of tonight's post is the drawing that follows. This drawing has not even reached the first draft stage yet.

As I was working on this drawing of a child care worker, it suddenly dawned on me that I have never shown you what a work in progress actually looks like. I thought you might like to get an idea of how I work.


When I find a photograph that appeals to me, I set it aside as a possible future drawing. Then, when I am looking for something new to start working on, I go through my collection until I find an image that makes me say "yes, that's the next one."

I always work on getting the faces, heads and upper bodies in place first. Usually there is one part of the picture that appeals to me most -- in this one it is the child care worker's face. Once that is in place then I build the drawing around it.

Actually, in this particular case, I find I am quite moved by the child's hand placed so trustingly on the caregiver's arm. I will definitely try to find a way to create some focus on that area as well.

I hope you had a good New Year's Day.
Wishing you blessings and peace.

No comments: