Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Ash Wednesday




Being that it is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent and all, I was finally able to get myself to finish this drawing.



I had cut the photograph out of the newspaper almost two years ago. It had accompanied an article about the terrible conditions in one of the refugee camps in Darfur at that time. The child in the photograph was actually lying on the ground.



I could barely stand to look at the photo, much less draw it, but finally I started. Then, once I had the inspiration to put him on a cross, it seemed a bit easier to look at.



But it was never easy enough. So, it became a process of working on it for short periods and then not working on it for longer periods!



Today, with the heavy, wet snow outside (which is not really accessible for wheelchairs like mine) plus the fact that it was Ash Wednesday and I would not be able to go to Mass as I have every Ash Wednesday for years and years, I said: I will finish the drawing -- and I did.



I have named it "Crucifixion -- Darfur Style". If it affects you at all, I trust it will spur you to positive action and not be a source of bad dreams.




Blessings and peace to you all.


No comments: