Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Lunar Eclipse





According to some of our friendly scientists, the total lunar eclipse we are expecting this evening may be as red or orange as the basketball is in my drawing above! I understand that this will be caused by filtered light. I hope you get to see it. Supposedly, the conditions for viewing are almost perfect here in Ontario.








The next total lunar eclipse will not occur until December, 2010 -- on my sister's birthday. I do hope the atmosphere will still be in good enough shape for us to see it!





The above drawing, by the way, is entitled "The Basketball Player".









These next drawings are placed together for obvious reasons. I want to make a statement with them.





I have been doing so many icons lately -- because I love both the detailed work involved and the subject matter -- but then I came across a photo on the weekend of a middle-eastern mother with a sick and dying child. I was struck by the icon-like position that she and the child were in as the photo was taken.

























































I'm not really sure of the point I am trying to make here -- it is more just a feeling of saying something by putting the two drawings together.


It's like with the drawing I did of the starving child in Darfur. Not only is his body disappearing from hunger, but the colours I've used are almost fading into white. If his poor little body wasn't tied to the cross, he would float away. Every time some new media event comes along, the world seems to forget the starving children again: in Darfur, in Iraq, in Afghanistan... and the list just goes on and on.

And, after saying all that, I'm still not sure what I am trying to say!

Enough for tonight. I want to go out on my balcony and see if I can catch a glimpse of this eclipse.

May peace be with you all.

No comments: