Monday, 4 February 2008

The Saga Continues




















Well, I had to go back on antibiotics today as I don't seem to be healing quite properly. Tomorrow I see the doctor again and will, hopefully, be told that I am healing all right but that it is just going to take a bit longer than expected.

Meanwhile, all this time at home has given me more opportunities to be creative. I saw a photo of a country church in the newspaper recently and it reminded me of all those churches that were part of the background scenery of the Alabama countryside where I grew up. I couldn't resist drawing a country church using elements from the photograph and elements from my memories.

I am sure you will all be surprised to learn that I have named this drawing "Country Church"! Clever as always, aren't I?


This next item is a new icon which I have been working on for several weeks now.


It probably looks familiar to you because it is in the same style as several I have done previously.


The Virgin of Mercy (Eleousa), a variant of the more ancient Hodegetria, expresses the intensity of the loving and affectionate relationship between the Mother and the Christ Child. Mary hugs Jesus close to her, their faces no longer frozen and frontal, but turned toward one another, cheeks touching as the son grabs her cloak." [from Icons and Saints of the Eastern Orthodox Church by Alfredo Tradigo]


The most famous example of this icon is, of course, The Virgin of Vladimir by Rublev.


Well, that's enough lecturing tonight. I am tired. I guess all these pills can do that to you!



Peace be with you all.

No comments: