Thursday, 14 February 2008

St. Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

The above drawing is not one of mine but is a self-portrait by someone I consider to be a really good artist by the name of Duane O'Hagan. He has the great good fortune to live in one of the most beautiful spots on earth (in my opinion) -- New Mexico.

I think I may have mentioned his work previously, referring to special art work I have been fortunate enough to acquire. Anyway, if not, here is a photo of one of his creations similar to one I now have in my home. They are called "Spirit Birds" and all parts of them appear to be made from found wood.








There is something about the one I have that makes me so happy each time I see it. I have it placed near my entryway and whenever I come home and my eyes fall upon it, I smile -- no matter how tired or how much pain I am in. There is just something about the simplicity and beauty of it all.
Anyway, I have been hard at work on another icon so when I take breaks, as you now know, I tend to work on drawings that simply make me happy. This next one is such a drawing.
I got the idea for it from some photos sent to me by a dear friend who happens to have some of the world's most adorable grandchildren. I kid you not. Anyhow, a couple of them were taken to a Christmas party where this one was picked up by something that appears to me to be an alien being. I don't remember, but I suppose as children you like this sort of thing!
In the original photo, the child was also dressed in red and seemed almost as though he was being absorbed into the furry alien. That was just too scary for me so I took the liberty of changing the colours, but I did try to keep the expression on his face. I am calling it: "Nana, are you sure he is on our side?"
May St. Valentine pray for us all.

No comments: