Friday, 8 February 2008

Strange Combinations



















I have always been intrigued by the juxtaposition or combination of strange and unusual things. Which is what caused me to want to do this drawing, illustrating the friendship between a monkey and a sea bird. Not the kind of friendship you see every day!

I decided to name the drawing "It's Special to Have A Good Friend". As most of us have over the years, I, too, have found that your friends make all the difference.

Because of the problems I have continued to have this past week with my teeth, I have needed so much help and encouragement and, as always, my friends have been there for me. I am so grateful.

Now, from the sublime to the ridiculous (almost).

I received an email from a friend recently in which he included the following pictures showing the artistic efforts of a woman whose medium is marzipan.


Marzipan, as most of you know, is almond paste: a sweet paste made of ground almonds and sugar, often with egg whites or yolks, used as a layer in cakes or molded into ornamental shapes.

As you can see, especially in the second photo, this woman is truly talented. There were other photos which I did not include which showed actual decorative arrangements for cakes for -- baby showers, I guess.


Anyway, my question is: who on earth could eat one of these adorable creations?

I mean, really -- where would you start?

Nope, I think she should use a permanent medium. The combination of icing and babies is too strange a combination even for me!

________________________

Remember to tell all your friends how special they are.

Peace be with you.

No comments: