Saturday, 29 March 2008

Earth Hour 2008

As you can see from the new drawing of the cat, I was taking a break from all things serious and difficult and just doing a relaxing piece of art work.

It still needs some finishing before I will be satisfied with it but I really enjoyed being aware of a "cat thoughts" during the hours I spent working on it.

At present, I am calling it "Miss Calico".

Now on to Earth Hour.

We are surrounded by the event and it is good to see everyone -- especially the young people -- taking it so seriously.



Here is a photo I came across of people at their evening prayers in a part of the world where electricity is off more than it is on! If you look closely, you can see that there are no lights showing in the background which would be unheard of in our part of the world.

All this talk of Earth Hour makes me think of the places I have lived in my life where there were almost no lights visible at night which meant that the sky was ablaze with stars.

The house where I spent most of my growing up years was out in the Alabama countryside. Our closest neighbour was over a mile away. At night there were no other human lights visible. I used to go and lie on the roof of the garage and watch the stars until I almost had the illusion that they were moving.

When I was a young adult and worked in New Mexico, it was only a short walk from my house to the edge of the small town I lived in. Then there I would be facing south, toward Mexico, at a height of almost 7,000 feet. The starlight would be so bright that I could almost read by it!

During the late 60's and early 70's when I first came to Canada, I was teaching at a community college. I spent most of every summer on a farm up in Renfrew County. There were neighbours on the farms nearby, but at night most lights were hidden by the trees and hills so that we seemed to be alone on the hillside overlooking the Madawaska River. The stars were always brilliant when it wasn't cloudy, but the most incredible sight (as I have mentioned previously) were the Northern Lights.

So often throughout my life I have recalled the first two lines of Psalm 19: "The Heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament* showeth His handiwork..." (*earth in King James English).

Well, it is getting closer to the time for the lights to go out. I had better go and get all my beeswax candles ready for lighting. I plan to listen to a book on tape until 9. Wishing you all a very enjoyable Earth Hour.

Peace.



1 comment:

Deb said...

Just happened across your blog, and it is quite interesting. Nice work on the calico; you have captured the 'cattitude' very well.
Although we were celebrating a birthday last night, we turned off the lights and music and played a game by candlelight from 8-9. It was nice to see neighbours also observing the blackout.