Saturday, 15 March 2008

Vigil of Passion (Palm) Sunday

We are a week away from Easter but I want to go ahead and show you my Easter Icon. I have been working on it for some time now and just finished this first draft last night.
I will continue to work on it during the coming week and show it to you again in all its finished glory (surrounded by that word we haven't been able to use during Lent [Alleluia]) next weekend!
Please let me hear from you if you have any comments or suggestions about the icon as I only have these few days before I will be sending it out to all my friends and relatives on their Easter e-greetings.
Also, tonight, I want to show you the latest version of the Divine Mercy icon.
A dear friend -- that one who so often makes such good suggestions about my icons -- put forth the idea that I might want to consider separating the rays of light coming from the heart of the figure.


The reddish rays represent blood while the bluish rays represent water.


After so many years of seeing this image with the rays together in one form or another, I would never even have considered separating them. However, this image is not part of her tradition so she was free to make the suggestion.


Let me know what you think. Look back at the earlier version with the rays together and compare it to this one. It is really difficult for me to decide which version is more efffective.


Also, tonight, I want to show you a couple of items I received in yesterday's mail.

The first is a flower basket drawn by my foster child in Guatemala -- Sandra Elizabeth. I put my drawing of her next to her drawing. She is in the 6th grade and I think she did a really good job.



What I like best is that the flower basket makes me really feel like Spring is truly almost here!



This next item was drawn by my foster child in the Philippines. Her name is Myka.

In order to send items to one another, we have to send them through the agency that monitors our relationship which means that everything can take much longer than ordinary mail would take.

So, her drawing is of her local church at midnight Mass this past Christmas Eve.



I believe she is also in Grade 6 (maybe Grade 5), but she also did a lovely drawing for me.
I keep encouraging them both to draw things for me and I tell them that I publish them on my blog. I also print their drawings on notecards which I send back to them so they can see how professional their work looks.
My third little girl in Africa is still quite young and is not really able to do much in the way of art work yet. But she shows promise already and I am encouraging her with each letter.



So ends another entry. I have a few more serious things I want to post, but I think I will save them for Good Friday -- it seems more appropriate.
Meanwhile, may peace be with you all.

No comments: