Saturday, 26 April 2008

Look Who's Back!





Soon after my last brief entry, I experienced my first hard-drive crash! And, no, don't even ask me about whether I do regular back-ups!! Anyway, most of my work was retrieved by a really nice young man named Nick and I got a new computer through the really, really nice son-in-law of my dear friend, Jessie. So all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well to quote Dame Julian.




This bright drawing was one I had almost finished just prior to the crash and it was obviously not corrupted.



I have been able to finish it in the past few days in spite of all the downloading and uploading that I have been doing hour after hour since getting my new computer and getting all my retrieval discs returned.

This drawing is entitled "Shooting Stars" and was inspired by a photograph taken by Brenda -- my blog friend whose photo site link I posted for you a month or so ago. If anyone knows the proper name of this flower, by the way, please let me know.

Just before the Great Crash, I was also just about to post my latest Holy Family icon.

This one is a bit more in the Coptic tradition than any I have done previously. I am sure you can see the difference in the look. For those of you less familiar with icons, they do tend to vary from region to region. The ones that we are more familiar with here in the west are those from the various Russian schools.

And, finally, after further discussions with my Tibetan acquaintance, I have come up with the version that really works for me.

She was the one who wanted me to use "peace" in the first place. By itself, the word peace just seemed too limp, but then I asked her for the same word in Tibetan! Not only is it beautiful to look at, it is also a word in a language that the Chinese have tried to force the Tibetan people to stop using.

I noticed in today's paper that the Chinese are planning to meet with a representative of the Dalai Lama which just could be the beginnings of the long road to peace.

It is wonderful to be back on the computer again -- especially to be able to return to my art work. I cannot begin to describe how painful it was to be without any means to be creative once again.

I got so desperate that I picked up a drawing pencil, but after the third or fourth cramp, I had to admit that it just wasn't going to work.

So you can imagine how grateful I am.

May peace be with you all.

No comments: