Wednesday, 30 April 2008

Moments of Joy and Sadness

This is the first drawing done entirely on my new computer!

It is entitled "Crazy Flowers". I decided to do something rather wild and crazy in honour of having purchased a new, and very fancy, computer.

The drawing was actually inspired by some clip art that I discovered in the new software I loaded when I first got the computer -- before I had picked up any of my own picture files for loading. This painting makes me feel very joyful.

By the way, all is not going smoothly with this new computer.

Actually, I have decided to name the computer, "Flicker", like the horse. The reason for this is that every so often the screen freezes -- it just goes gray and sits there and flickers. It won't do anything -- it won't respond to any commands -- so all that is left is to turn off the computer.

What this has me doing is saving things compulsively. Fortunately, this freezing business doesn't happen constantly -- usually somewhere between every 12 to 24 hours. One day it happened twice in a 24 hour period.

This does not make me happy, of course, but I am trying to come to terms with it. Toshiba is quite willing to try to fix it for me, but they will have to take my computer away from me to do it and I don't know if I can handle the trauma just yet!!

Also, I know how difficult these intermittent problems are to diagnose and fix.

Anyway, now that we are speaking of sad things, I may as well show you a photo of something even sadder.

When I saw this picture in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago, I almost cried.

I grew up taking care of chickens and I know how they should look when they are healthy and happy. This isn't it!

I don't know if the loss of feathers occurs naturally in factory farming when the birds never see sunlight or if it occurs because they are attacking each other.

Whenever we saw a chicken looking like one of these, we would move it to a location by itself until it was able to recover and then when it was re-introduced, the other chickens would no longer attack it.

I came across these nice photos of chickens and turkeys being raised the way we used to do it.

To me that look a great deal happier than those in the photo from the newspaper.

If I was still a meat eater, I think I would much prefer to eat the ones in the second set of pictures rather than the ones in the first!

How do I get off on these tangents anyway?


May peace be with you all.




No comments: