Friday, 4 April 2008

More Strange Things

This is a picture taken from the top of the hillside near Palmer Rapids, Ontario looking down on the farm we owned.

If you look closely you can see the neighbour's sheep grazing in the pasture and the shiny objects are the tin roofs on the house and the various out buildings.

What makes this strange?

Well, today I ordered a book from Madonna House Apostolate in Combermere, Ontario. The lady who answered the telephone to take my order asked me, hesitantly, if I was the Sallie who used to have the farm at Palmer Rapids?

This person turned out to be someone I haven't seen or spoken with in about 35 years. When I last saw her, she was just starting out on life's journey and now she is a grandmother!

What a wonderful blessing this is.

This next item is strange in appearance. It is also a new drawing -- first draft.

In my usual clever fashion, I am keeping the title closely related to the subject of the drawing. I have called it "Cybister Amaryllis".


This is an older drawing of mine of what we normally call an Amaryllis plant.

The truth of the matter is, the Amaryllis Family has lots of different members including the strange character above called Cybister.

Which explains why my new drawing is called "Cybister Amaryllis".


Then, the other day, I came across this photograph.
I knew right away that there was something familiar about it, but I couldn't figure out what. In fact, at first I couldn't even figure out for sure what I was looking at other than I knew it was some kind of trees!
Finally, I found the explanation that went with it and was told that this is a photo of Cypress trees taken at sunset.
Well, I was still confused.
This is what I am used to thinking of when it comes to Cypress trees.


This photo was taken back in the 1980's on the lake where my sister, Betty, lived in Florida. It was called a Cypress lake and had that brown-stained water that Cypress wood gives.



While I admit that none of these items are earth shattering, they are the kinds of things that keep life interesting and surprising for me.



I have almost finished a new icon of the Holy Family which I will probably be showing you on Sunday when it will be time for another posting.


Until then, may peace reign in your hearts.

No comments: