Sunday, 4 May 2008

Made in China

[The "Peace" version is the final one; the one is being used just to illustrate my point.]
I have been ruminating these past few days over this "made in China" business regarding the clothes for the 2008 Olympics.

I am using this version of my "Free Tibet" drawing to illustrate the issue as many people are saying that they will not be buying any of the Hudson's Bay Company clothing designed for the Olympics since it was all made in China!


Their reasoning being that China is oppressing Tibet as well as aiding the Sudanese government -- enabling them to supply the weapons that are being used to kill, maim, rape and starve the people of Darfur.





As you may recall, this drawing was originally entitled: "Crucifixion: Darfur Style". At any rate, whether you use the old title or the new, it is still all about greed.


Just like it is when it comes to the clothes for the Olympics.


Hbc says they couldn't use the garment industry in Canada or the U.S. yet somehow Roots managed to do so very effectively during the years they held the clothing contract.




So, what do you think about these new garments anyway?









Perhaps, it has something to do with the fact that I am getting to be an old lady, but I, personally, do not find them very appealing.


Then, I have never been comfortable having loudly printed material covering my legs. It always makes me feel like I forgot to take my pajama pants off!


Also, I did make a commitment to myself back when the news first broke about the great numbers of child labourers in China that I would try to buy as little as possible from China until they made a real effort to treat their children better.


I can't judge them too harshly, of course, since Canada has its own list of sins in this area --


Meanwhile, the debate continues. I would really be interested in hearing if any of you plan to buy these "Olympic" fashions.




Peace be with you all.

No comments: