Thursday, 5 June 2008

Faux or Pseudo?

This rather unusual looking "icon" is entitled "Mother of God -- Inexhaustibe Cup".

In drawing it, I worked from a Russian icon which evidently has healing properties -- or so I was told. Evidently, numerous alcoholics have experienced complete healing while praying before the actual icon. I would not expect my version to have the same effect, but you never know!

Anyway, to explain the title of this posting and why I put icon in quote marks, I need to mention that there seems to be an ongoing controversy among some who have seen my drawings as to whether an "icon" drawn on a computer screen can really be called an icon.

Thus I decided to start calling my work pseudo-icons.

Upon reflecting upon this, however, I began to wonder if that was really the best choice. Pseudo means sham and I don't think my drawings are shams. That was when I thought that perhaps I should call them faux-icons -- as in faux-fur which means fur that looks real but isn't. I am still undecided, but I think I will go with faux.

Of course, there are also those who have asked me whether drawings done on the computer can even be considered real art. This is probably another area of controversy but I won't worry about it for now.

At any rate, I feel that those who like my work will continue to like it whatever I call it.

Now for something entirely different.

This drawing was among the art work that I inherited from my sister, Betty. I am unsure whether this was an item of hers or of her husband. At any rate, it is quite beautiful.

The frame it was in was almost rotten so I removed the print from the frame earlier this week with the thought that I would eventually get it reframed.

I wanted to share it with you but it is much too large to fit easily onto my scanner screen so I tried to get the tree in focus which leaves the outside areas rather blurry -- but you can still get a sense of the fine pen work.

At the bottom of the drawing, I found the artist's name: Gracie Melanson. This was followed by "ED 10 - 10" I really wish I knew more about this work and the artist. Ah, well...

That's enough rambling for tonight.

Peace be with you

No comments: