Saturday, 19 July 2008

Another Sarah

Finally, here is the icon I have been working on for some time. It is one of the most complicated that I have attempted to date.



It is called "The Hospitality of Abraham and Sarah".



Actually, this icon is usually just called "The Hospitality of Abraham" but how could I, another Sarah, leave her name out of the title?



I am very uncertain about the Greek. Actually, let me rephrase that. I am very uncertain about the "and" (kai in Greek) since it is a modern spelling -- plus I may not have used it properly. I really need help with my Greek!



For those of you who don't know, there is a story in the Book of Genesis (first book of the Hebrew Bible) about three angels coming to visit Abraham and Sarah when they were an old couple. The angles prophesied that Sarah would bear a son and through him God would bless the nations. Sarah laughed since she was an old woman. However, the following year she gave birth to a son, Isaac.

The three angels have often been viewed by Christian artists and scholars as representing the Holy Trinity -- Father, Son and Holy Spirit -- which is how Christians describe the one God. There is even a very famous icon by Rublev of the three angels which is called "The Trinity". However, in my icon I drew them as three mystical creatures which allows the viewers to make their own conclusions about what or who the angels represent.

Peace be with you all.





No comments: