Sunday, 13 July 2008

Completion

When I picked up the completed plaques yesterday at Staples, it suddenly dawned on me that I had never posted this icon I did of St. Edith Stein.

For those of you who don't know, Edith Stein was a Jewish convert to Catholicism. A brilliant philosopher, she became a Roman Catholic in the years prior to World War II and eventually became a Carmelite nun. She was Polish and after the Germans invaded Poland, her community sent her to Holland for safety. Unfortunately, the Germans invaded Holland a few years later. Edith Stein (known in religious life as Sr. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross) was put to death at Auschwitz on August 9, 1942.


tThe other plaques I picked up yesterday were of St. Paul. I have shown you this one previously but include it once again since it is part of the same order.

Also I wanted to point out, to anyone who might be interested, that I finally got my Greek spelling correct! At one point, I changed the name of Paul to Paulinus -- then after some more research, I realized that it should be Paulos. This is what I have now: the pi symbol is P, then A (alpha), followed by what looks like a Y but is the Greek symbol for upsilon, then the thing that looks like an A with a tail on top is the Greek letter lambda = L, followed by O (omicron in Greek) and then the symbol for S (sigma in Greek). Voila! You have the name of Paul.

Once a teacher, always a teacher, I guess.



Peace be with you.

No comments: