Sunday, 27 July 2008

A Different Approach


This is my most recent icon -- a drawing of the Agony in the Garden.

I tried a very different approach when drawing it -- I drew it in two separate sections and then put them together.


First, I drew Our Lord at prayer on the rock as you see below.



Then I drew the disciples, Peter, John and James, trying to stay awake and pray as Christ asked them to.

These figures needed to be much smaller than the Christ figure in order to show both their lesser status and their physical distance from Christ.


Then, as you saw at the beginning, I put them together in one normal size icon. I gave the Christ drawing more rooom which made everyone the appropriate size.

Why did I do it this way?

Mainly, because I knew how difficult it was going to be to try to draw all those figures on one "canvas".

Plus, I would have been working with such tiny figures which would have been very hard on my eyes and my hands.

So, now that you see how it turned out, what do you think of my different approach?



Peace be with you.

No comments: