Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Learning by Copying

This drawing was copied from the cover of a note card I received recently from a friend.

The original is a painting entitled "African Afternoon" and was painted by an artist named Tilly Willis.

I was struck immediately by the way that one bright colour gives the impression of intense sunlight and I wanted to try it for myself. So I did.

I have always wanted to try to draw an acacia tree as well and this effort gave me the chance to learn more about the structure of these iconic African trees.

This drawing of a Great Blue Heron was copied from a postcard I received a few months ago from a friend travelling in the States.

Until I started working on the drawing, I had never realized how many different types of feathers are found on a heron. I did not try to draw them all, of course, but I did learn a lot by trying to copy just a few of them.

The background was borrowed from my clip art file.

I have almost finished a new icon. It is one that I have wanted to do for a long time, but never could quite bring myself to attempt all the detail work necessary. Now it is almost complete! Maybe it will be ready for me to post on Thursday.

Peace be with you.


No comments: