Thursday, 17 July 2008

Nicknames

From looking at the two drawings I am posting tonight, you might think my title should be "Africa" instead of "Nicknames".

Well, as you will discover, the first drawing, above, bears a particular relation to my discussion. [The title for this drawing, by the way, is "Giraffe Mother and Child"]

I have always been a person of nicknames. From the day of my birth I was burdened with a nickname that I carry to this very day.

My given name is Sarah. I was named after both my grandmothers. My maternal grandmother was named Sarah Victoria; my paternal grandmother was named Sarah Elizabeth. However... one was known to most people as Sis Sallie and the other was known as Sallie Bet. So, from day one, I was just called Sallie.

This, of course, led eventually to people calling me "Sal" . Then I had the misfortune of being given the middle name of Wallace which led to my being called "Wally". Finally, to make matters even worse, I was in high school when the song "Long Tall Sally" became a hit and I just happened to be skinny and very tall -- so I was called "Long Tall".

At some point in my early twenties, I had a group of friends who started calling me "the giraffe". As with all my nicknames, I tried to find something positive about the appellation and so begin my fondness for giraffes.

However, I must admit that this is the first time I have ever tried to draw them. I always hesitated because of all the spots they have. It was a bit tedious drawing them all, but I am glad I finally tried.

This drawing was inspired by a newspaper photograph showing a woman in Darfur carrying her food rations for a month. I entitled it: "Food for a Month -- Darfur".

I am sure that she is taking her donated food home to a family which will have to try to survive on this small amount for four weeks -- in the hope that there will be another truck of food aid there at month's end.

Let us not forgot those who have so much less than we do.


Peace be with you,
Sallie a.k.a Sarah, Sal, Wally, Long Tall and The Giraffe


P.S. The new icon is almost completed.

No comments: