Friday, 22 August 2008

Annunciation


Tonight I want to share with you my icon of the Annunciation. The event, found in the Gospels, tells of the Archangel Gabriel appearing to young Mary of Nazareth. He tells her that she has been selected to be the mother of the Messiah.

Mary, a virgin, is puzzled by this but when the angel tells her that this will be accomplished by the power of God, she makes her famous response: "I am the handmaiden of the Lord, be it done unto me according to your will." This was Mary's way of saying "yes" to God's will for her life.


Whenever I am confronted by anything that I would rather not have to deal with or face, I try to remember to say those same words that Mary said to the angel. I try to say "yes" to whatever God wants to give me whether it is difficult or easy. I find great peace in doing this.


In the icon I have used symbols to show the "overshadowing" of the Holy Spirit. I also placed the Greek word for announcing something important in the upper left-hand corner. I am sure that there is a special word for "Annunciation" in New Testament Greek, but thus far I have not been able to figure out what it is.

This next drawing is just a simple picture of a mass of Black-Eyed Susans with a ladybug on one of the leaves.

I call the drawing "A Ladybug in Black-Eyed Susans".


I remember learning the verse about ladybugs when I was a child: "Ladybug, ladybug fly away home; your house is on fire and your children are alone...etc.".


Years later I learned how helpful ladybugs are to gardeners and then I stopped telling them to "fly away home"!!



May peace be with us all.


No comments: