Thursday, 14 August 2008

New Techniques


You may recall the icon I posted a few weeks ago of "The Agony in the Garden". That was the one where I talked about a new technique of drawing the icon in two separate parts and then putting the parts together for the finished item.

The main reason for doing this is that it enables me to work with each section in a larger format than I would be able to do otherwise.


This is exactly what I did with the icon shown at the beginning of this posting which depicts The Transfiguration of Christ.



Here are the two halves of the icon before I put them together.


I also did something else different with this icon -- I used a revised version of the same bottom half that I had already drawn for the icon of The Agony in the Garden.



Actually, the figures of the three disciples in the Agony icon were taken from the original drawing of the Transfiguration icon. I just tried to make them look a bit more like they were trying to stay awake instead of being frightened.



In The Transfiguration icon, the disciples are frightened by the change in the appearance of Jesus and the presence of two long-dead prophets -- Moses and Elijah.



Unfortunately, I cannot use the two-part technique in many of the icons I want to draw as it is too difficult to match them exactly.



Having rocks in the middle of the drawing makes it much easier to put the two halves together after they are finished.



I am working on a new icon of the Baptism of the Lord. This is not one that I can do in two parts and so I am struggling greatly with the faces of the two men and three angels depicted.



Every so often I have to take a break and draw something larger and simpler -- which is why you keep seeing images of animals and children!




Peace be with you all.

No comments: