Saturday, 30 August 2008

The Sacred Image

Up first tonight is one of my latest icons -- The Baptism of Jesus by St. John the Baptist.

St. John is appropriately "rough" looking -- remember, he lived in the desert on locusts and wild honey. There are three angels adoring Christ standing on the other side of the Jordan River. Jesus is standing in the water so that he, too, might share in John's baptism of repentance while above him the Holy Spirit descends upon Him like a dove. "And a voice was heard from Heaven saying, this is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased."



Next I want to tell you about what I did yesterday: I took a trip to Markham to the Varley Art Gallery of Markham. Here is the front of the brochure about the show I went to see.


The Varley Art Gallery of Markham is located at 216 Main Street in Unionville. The telephone number is 905-477-9511. The web site is www.varleygallery.ca

There were many beautiful icons -- every kind from Russian to Egyptian (Coptic), including Greek and Ethiopian.


I believe the exhibit lasts until some time in October, but you can look at the web site to be sure. It is well worth the drive to Markham! It is really quite a large exhibit and so beautiful. My friend, Jessie, who drove me there made the comment that I looked like I was in Heaven!

One statement that was given on a plaque really grabbed me. It read: "Every icon is a reflection of the gaze of God."


Peace be with you.

No comments: