Saturday, 13 September 2008

Further Flowers


These days, whenever I take a break from drawing icons, it seems that I usually end up drawing flowers.


This first drawing is entitled: "Oxalis Adenophylla" which is, of course, the proper name for the plant. It's a native of the Andes and I have no idea what it is called in local gardens. If you know, please write me.



This second drawing is just a simple sketch of some "Forget-Me-Nots".

I am very fond of this sweet, little plant and I feel great pleasure whenever I see them growing.


I have forgotten the name of the plant that is growing beside it. All I know is that it has long, green leaves with a sharp point on the end of each leaf.


As you can see, I am not a real gardener.


I love to draw flowers because they are so beautiful; however, I rarely take the time to learn the names of each one. The only plants and flowers that I have ever tried hard to learn to quickly identify and name are the wild ones.


Back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, I spent many summers roaming around Renfrew County. I identified and photographed a great many wildflowers during those years. I also learned to identify a great many edible wild plants and flowers; learning how to collect and cook them.


I fixed many a meal of wild leaves and seed pods served with freshly baked bread (I actually did my week's baking in a wood stove) followed by wild berries of one sort or another for dessert!


Those were some of the best meals I have ever eaten -- if I do say so myself.


It is always fun to reminisce. Thanks for joining me.



Peace be with you all.



No comments: