Friday, 31 October 2008

Creation

The photo of the fawn asleep was just so beautiful that I had to try to draw it.

When I saw it, I immediately thought of the verse from Scripture where God says: "I will hold you in the palm of my hand" and so that is what I named the drawing. It is kind of a long name but, to me, it really fits perfectly.


This image truly makes me feel comforted.


Then, I had come across this photo in an advertisement about being "Green" and it also made me think of creation. So, I decided to draw it as well.

I call it "I AM the Creator" since I believe that through God all things came into being (see the Gospel of St. John, chapter 1) and another name for God is "I AM".


Of course, those of you who have been companions of my blog for some time will probably also remember that I love to try to draw hands. They are so difficult to draw and yet so appealing at the same time.

This final drawing doesn't show hands, but the next best thing: paws!



The title of this drawing is: "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep...Sleep...Sleep" which, as many of you know, is the beginning of the traditional children's prayer with the word "sleep" repeated because this is a cat praying -- and all cat lovers know that cats love to sleep and then sleep some more. The actual prayer goes:

Now I lay me down to sleep; I pray the Lord my soul to keep; if I should die before I wake; I pray the Lord my soul to take. Amen

Not exactly the happiest prayer to teach children, but it still remains a favourite of mine.


So, as we come to the end of October, 2008, I wish you all a blessed night.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Creation truly is the reflection of God's glory.

Can I request an icon of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary?

Teugif said...

Hi Sallie:

You might think me a bit disturbed, but when I at first saw the unresolved image of a small curvy rounded thing in the two hands, I thought it was bread!

Now, I'd be the first one to admit that my wild imagination can turn almost anything into a eucharistic metaphor, but .... that's what I saw.

Andrew