Wednesday, 15 October 2008

Cultivated and Wild

More flowers!

This first drawing is of a cultivated flower by the name of "Foxglove". I am not sure why it ended up with that name, but it is also the name I chose to use for the drawing itself!

It is such an interesting looking flower -- it almost looks like a horn of plenty filled with jewels.


This next drawing is of a well-know wildflower -- the Cardinal Flower. I am calling my drawing "The Cardinal".

In the months of July, August and September, you can see this brilliant scarlet flower growing all over the northeast near stream banks and damp areas.

Interestingly, the Cardinal Flower is a member of the Bluebell Family!


This final drawing for tonight is another wildflower -- the Canada Violet.


There are several details in this drawing that I would like to point out: first, there is the little green worm resting on the leaf; then there is the actual flower from the front; behind that are the backs of three petals of another Canada Violet. You see, the back of each white flower petal has a purple tinge!

I really like the Latin name for this lovely, little flower: Viola canadensis.


Now it is back to work on the "Rosary" icon I have been working on for some time now. I have finally finished another one in the Rosary series which I will probably be showing you on Friday.

Peace be with you all.

No comments: