Thursday, 9 October 2008

Wildflowers2

I have been drawing some more wildflowers.

This first one is called "Fringed Polygala" and in the wild is really quite beautiful -- especially when you come upon it unexpectedly in the deep woods.


This plant is also known as "Gaywings" and "Flowering Wintergreen" (not because it tastes like wintergreen but because of the shape of its broad leaves).



This next flower the the "Yellow Lady's-Slipper".

Those strange-looking, twisted things in the back are actually petals and there can be up to four of them per flower. The Lady's-Slipper plants (there are a number of variations) are actually members of the Orchid family. These yellow ones tend to grow in cool areas close to bogs or swamps.


I do have a real fondness for wildflowers as I have mentioned previously. There was a period in my life when I was able to spend many summer months wandering the woods of central Ontario identifying wildflowers as well as identifying birds and snakes. What happy days those were for me.


Well, enough of that... I feel myself wanting to get back to work on my latest icon. This is of Pentecost and I still have six more apostles to go before I can start to complete all the background details. It is such a satisfying type of artistic effort for me and I am so grateful that I can do it.

Peace be with you all.

No comments: