Monday, 22 December 2008

A New Icon

A new icon -- "Christ Washing the Feet of the Disciples".

I spent a lot of time trying to give the faces expressions of puzzlement and confusion for they really did not understand what was going on!


In the icon we see Jesus washing the feet of Peter. At first, when Jesus approached him with the water and the towel, Peter said "Lord, you shall never wash my feet". Jesus then told him that if he did not allow him to wash his feet, he would have no share of the Kingdom. Peter then said, "Not only my feet then, but my head and hands as well". [In the icon you see Peter pointing to his head]. Jesus then told him that one who has bathed only needs his feet washed for otherwise he is clean.

After Jesus had washed their feet, he said to them: "Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord -- and you are right for that is what I am. So, if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet." In other words, we are called to serve one another.

You will also notice that there is a rooster crowing on top of a pillar. This is a reference to another conversation with Peter which occurred soon after the washing of the feet. Peter, always impetuous, says boldly to Jesus: "I will lay down my life for you." Jesus answers him by saying: "Will you? I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied three times that you even know me."

If the leader of the Church that Christ came to establish behaved this way, there is truly hope for us all!


I also have been spending time drawing another butterfly. This drawing is called "Pearl Crescent Butterfly on a Buttonbush Blossom" or maybe it should just be "Butterfly on a Buttonbush Blossom". Nice.

While I am writing this, I am listening to a CD I just received this afternoon as a Christmas gift from a very dear friend. It is called "Chant: Music for the Soul". It is Cistercian Monks from Austria "singing" Gregorian Chant and it is truly beautiful.

So, feeling more and more peaceful as I listen, I say to you all: Peace be with you.

No comments: