Sunday, 28 December 2008

Reflections

First, let me apologize for missing my posting for the 26th. The day after Christmas is called Boxing Day here in Canada which these days seems to refer to shopping at the sales and buying as much stuff as you can within the shortest time period! I did not go shopping, but had several visitors throughout the day and by the time evening came, all I wanted to do was to go to bed -- early.

Anyway, here I am on the 28th with a few reflections on different things as we get very close to year's end.


The drawing above was done recently and portrays an "African mother and twins". Africa is so often what we think of when we think of poverty and hunger -- and rightly so for they do have very definite shortages in so many places. However, we need to also think of Canada and the U.S. where we and our elected representatives are still allowing far too many children to go to bed hungry each night.

I don't know the solution, but there has to be one and we need to find it as more and more families these days are having to use the food banks.


This next drawing is the 2nd one I have done using the photographs of Tanja Askani for my model (remember the one of the deer eating the snowman's carrot nose?). I'm calling this drawing "A Friendly Hello".

These two gentle creatures face many difficulties, like all wild things. Hunters would like to shoot them for "sport"; others might like to kill them because they consider them to be pests. Neither deer nor rabbits are in any danger of extinction in this country. The native peoples once killed them only as necessary for food and skins and they did not kill off the coyotes and wolves that kept the populations of rabbits and deer in balance.


We, in our greediness, have unbalanced nature so much that almost nothing works properly anymore. I wonder if Nature has some sort of revenge in mind? Just a thought.



This final drawing is of orange-coloured wild Azaleas in Florida. I am calling the drawing simply "Florida Wild Azaleas".

So many of the wild plants are now in danger of extinction due to destruction of habitat and the use of herbicides. We are in such a hurry to cover over the earth with concrete so we can make more money. How very tragic. Like the song says: "Pave Paradise and put up a parking lot."

I don't know what is going to happen, but I do know that we must work really hard to try to fix some of the biggest problems we have created -- like poverty and out-of-balance eco-systems, learning to treat the earth and each other with gentleness and respect.

May peace be with you all.

[P.S. Just in case you are wondering about the time this was being written, I will just say that my legs are bothering me a lot more than usual tonight -- so since I can't sleep anyway...]

1 comment:

Hylott said...

Night Owl!!

I enjoy your art and am in accord with your stated thoughts.

To expound upon the subject of "food;" In 1900 38% of the population of the USA was engaged in agriculture. In 1950 that number was 12%. In 2000 it was less than 2%. Will the world starve?