Sunday, 25 January 2009

Behold, I Stand at the Door

Icon, "Christ Jesus Knocking", by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2009

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you and you with me." Revelation 3:20

This is a somewhat different icon that I have been working on recently. I came across the original online and was taken with it right away as this is not a traditional subject for iconographers.

I decided to try drawing it anyway even though I kept seeing the well-known painting by Hunt whenever I tried to visualize the finished result.

I am still not really satisfied with the result and may try drawing it again in the future. Any suggestions you might have about what I could do differently to make it a better icon, would be appreciated.

I am almost finished with a new drawing of the Bird of Paradise plant which I will post on Tuesday. I am also working on another unusual icon but am not sure I will finish it any time soon as it is another non-traditional subject. I think that sticking with the traditional subjects is much more satisfying as there is so much more material to work with.

Well, that's enough rambling about my artistic endeavours.

It has been another cold day in Toronto and will be cold again tomorrow. By Friday, the temperature should actually be back up to normal for this time of year -- which means we will also have more snow! You just can't win -- unless you love to ski, that is.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my dentist to make the plans for all the dental work I have to have done. We will probably be starting some time in February and maybe finish in April. I think that is where my thoughts are tonight. Sorry.

May peace be with you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sallie,

I especially like the expression on the face in your version, as it strongly suggests that he is hoping for and waiting for a response.