Friday, 23 January 2009

Blue Unknown

When my Alabama friend sent me the photo from which this drawing was made, he, not knowing the name of the flower, called it "Unknown".

When I began drawing it, I had to assign it a name so I called it the "Blue Unknown" for obvious reasons.

When I decided I wanted to include it in this posting, I felt I should give it a proper name so I wrote him, asking him to consult with his wife about the actual name -- she is very knowledgeable about such matters.

After a bit of research, I was sent several choices of names since it was a variety of Anemone and the exact variety is sometimes difficult to determine. So after reading everything my friend and his wife had sent, I settled on the name of "Wood Anemone".

Actually, I still really like "Blue Unknown" the best!!

This next drawing is a variety of the Bromeliad plant. The one we are used to seeing here has rather pale green, mottled, thick leaves and the "flowers" are usually pinkish in colour.

The is a variety found in Hawaii, however, and has smoother leaves and a brilliant colour. It reminds me of a jungle parrot -- all green and red.




This last item is the icon I posted earlier in the week. I am posting it again because I want to write about something related to it.

After that previous posting, I had several people ask me about the song I mentioned writing after spending time praying before this icon one day in the convent chapel. So I am going to post the words tonight.


Let me just say at this point that if you are one of my non-Christian readers or you are a Christian but you are uncomfortable with "prayers" to the Blessed Virgin, then you may just want to skip the rest of this section. I leave it up to you, of course.

Mother Mary, Please Don't Cry by Sallie Thayer, 1980

Chorus: Mother Mary, please don't cry
Don't look at me with those sad, sad eyes
Mother Mary, please don't cry
I didn't mean to make your little boy die
I didn't mean to make Jesus have to die.

1. I know that I'm a sinner and my sins are to blame
That Jesus had to die for me in suffering and in pain
I wish it hadn't had to be, but Mother you know it's true
That Jesus had to die for me and all creation too.

2. And still, I am a sinner ... was His death all in vain?
Each day I crucify Him anew in suffering and pain
I wish it wasn't this way, but Mother you know it's true
So I keep asking for your prayers, my source of Grace is you.

It is going to get very cold here tonight. At 6 p.m. it was +1 Celsius and by 6 a.m. tomorrow, it should be -20 Celsius with a wind chill of -30! How does that sound for a day at the beach!!


May peace be with you all.




No comments: