Saturday, 3 January 2009

Flowers in Winter

It is freezing cold outside my windows tonight so I am focusing on warm weather flowers so I won't have to think about the freezing rain and snow that are predicted for the days ahead!

These two drawings I am posting tonight were drawn by using two photos for my models. These photos were taken by a friend of mine in Alabama who takes beautiful pictures and who also has beautiful flowers in his garden which he photographs.

The first drawing is of a section of a Dogwood tree. I remember how in the spring, the woods stretching down the hill from our house would be dotted with the beautiful blossoms of dogwood trees.

When my friend sent me a photograph of the dogwood tree, he also sent me the legend of the Dogwood Tree:

At the time of the Crucifixion the dogwood had been the size of the oak and other forest trees. So firm and strong was the tree that it was chosen as the timber for the cross. To be used thus for such a cruel purpose greatly distressed the tree, and Jesus, nailed upon it, sensed this, and, in His gentle pity for all sorrow and suffering, said to it:

“Because of your regret and pity for My suffering, never again shall the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a cross. “Henceforth it shall be slender and bent and twisted and its blossoms shall be in the form of a cross—two long and two short petals. And in the center of each petal there will be nail prints, brown with rust and stained with red, and in the center of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see it will remember.”



This second drawing is of a flower called "Angel Trumpet".

I am really not that pleased with the results as it is almost impossible to capture the loveliness of this type of flower unless you are working with paint -- there needs to be a continual gradation in the shading of yellow to green in the centre. Anyway, I wanted to try to draw it. I may return to it in the near future and try again.

I have been spending a lot of time working on a new icon. It is another version of one of the Rosary icons. It is interesting to me that I can't let that project go -- I want to continue drawing different versions of all the mysteries until I have the exact icons that I want for each one of them. Anyway, you will have to continue to look at them, I'm afraid, in the weeks to come. This current one will probably be posted on Monday night so prepare yourself.

May peace be with you on this the third day of the New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just took a peek at your blog and my reaction to the Dogwood and Angel Trumpet art pieces is, "AWESOME!" (that's a word I have noticed that my 12 and 14 year old grandsons use when they are really impressed by or really like something . . . . and consequently it is a very fitting one here!) I am again honored that you chose to use my amateurish photos as a model for your wonderful art work. Thank you!
Hylott in Birmingham