Tuesday, 13 January 2009

For A Change

Well, tonight, for a change, I am showing you neither icons or flowers!

This first drawing is entitled "Lakeside". I came across a photograph in a magazine about summer camps for kids. The original photo had children on the dock but I knew from the moment I saw it that I wanted to draw a picture of solitude.

This is the type of place I would love to be on a summer morning, early, before the activities of the day begin. What peacefulness the scene makes me feel. I keep expecting to hear the call of a Loon across the quiet lake.

This second drawing is also a bit different.

The title of this one is "A Castle in Poland" and the photograph I worked from came from a 2008 Polish calendar.


There is something funny about this drawing which you may notice right away. I mean, I tend to draw exactly what I see and so it wasn't until after I had finished this one that I realized that I was drawing from a photo taken with a wide-angle lens. This means that at the edges of the photo, things appear to lean in a bit. This distortion is one of the things a photographer has to accept in an effort to get more of a scene in the photograph. So, drawing exactly what I saw meant that I, too, had things at the edge leaning in toward the centre! After realizing what I had done, I considered changing it but then decided that I liked the effect and so I left it. What do you think?


I am really tired tonight as the vet came this afternoon to give miz k.d. her annual physical. She decided that she needed to take some blood. miz k.d. did not think this was a good idea at all; however, with a lot of encouragement from us, the blood was finally drawn. miz k.d. is so tired that she has already gone to bed and I don't think I will be far behind.

We are having some terribly cold weather for the next few days. If you are anywhere in the northeast, keep your ears and mouth covered if you go outside. Those of you in warmer areas should be grateful. Wherever you are and whatever the weather, may you be at peace.

No comments: