Thursday, 1 January 2009

Happy New Year, 2009

I trust that everyone has changed all their calendars is now prepared for the beginning of 2009! Don't forget to put 2009 on any documents you are signing -- that always the most difficult part of the new year for me.

As to the first drawing I want to show you in the New Year, it is an icon -- one that I have been keeping aside for a while as it is so different from most other icons I have done. As you can probably tell, it is another version of what is known as "The Visitation" -- the second mystery of the 5 Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary.

Having the figures so large is not typical nor are the bright colours of blue and orange. I actually designed St. Elizabeth's clothing to look something like fire. I did this because of what Scripture tells us. In Luke's Gospel, we read: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed with a loud cry -- Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb."

It's almost like Jesus in the womb of Mary "baptized" St. John the Baptist and his mother, St. Elizabeth with the Holy Spirit -- giving Elizabeth the gifts of knowledge and prophecy for she continues by saying: "And why has the mother of my Lord come to me? For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the babe in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed is she who believed the word of the Lord that was spoken to her." Mary had not yet said a single word to Elizabeth about her encounter with the angel or the fact that she was pregnant.

I have thought many times about this encounter and have always asked myself wonderingly "who am I that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?" This is a particularly good question for me to ponder on this feast day: The Solemnity of Mary the Mother of God."



This next drawing is of a "Passion Flower". I have never seen one in real life, but I came across a picture of one in a book on flowers and found it quite interesting and different. If any of you have actually seen one of these flowers, I would definitely appreciate getting more information about them. I could always research them on the Internet, but I like to hear from people who have actually seen the item I am curious about so I can get their impressions.


Well, after staying up until midnight last night and having an active day today, I am already tired. It may be an early night for me after all.

Once again, let me wish all of you all the best in 2009. May peace, charity and compassion explode all over the world!

No comments: