Monday, 2 February 2009

Candlemas



Today is the Feast of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple also know as Candlemas also known as the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary. On the left is my icon representing that event.

"According to the Mosaic law a mother who had given birth to a man-child was considered unclean for seven days; moreover she was to remain three and thirty days "in the blood of her purification". When the time (forty days) was over the mother was to "bring to the temple a lamb for a holocaust and a young pigeon or turtle dove for sin"; if she was not able to offer a lamb, she was to take two turtle doves or two pigeons; the priest prayed for her and so she was cleansed. (Leviticus 12:2-8)
Forty days after the birth of Christ, Mary complied with this precept of the law, she redeemed her first-born from the temple (Numbers 18:15), and was purified by the prayer of Simeon the just, in the presence of Anna the prophetess (Luke 2:22 sqq.). This event, the first solemn introduction of Christ into the house of God, came to be known as Candlemas"** as it was the Mass at which all the candles were blessed for the church year. This practice developed in the early church because Christ, the Light of the World, entered the Temple for the first time 40 days after Christmas. Christ the Light coming to the Temple equals candles representing Christ the Light being blessed on this day.

Now, before I get to the flowers I had planned to post tonight, I wanted to mention a question I got in an email about the recent post of the Prodigal Son. The questioner wanted to know "what is the significance of the ring placed on the prodigal son's finger by his father?"

I haven't actually researched it, but from what I know of such matters, I would say that the ring symbolized that he was fully a son once again with the authority and power of his Father. Throughout history there has often been a ring that went with the office of leader. To this very day, the Popes wear a special ring which indicates the power of their office. You will often see people genuflecting and kissing the Holy Father's ring when they first meet him. This behaviour is also seen in the Orthodox churches.

Now to some of my recent flower sketches...






Here is a Magnolia Blossom. This sketch was done using one of the beautiful photographs sent to me by my friend, Hylott.

You may notice that the edges of the petals are not as smooth as they should be -- Magnolia petals are soft and smooth. I guess I need to let everyone know that the shakiness in my hands has increased a great deal lately and it does affect my drawing ability. I am not sure why this is happening, but am hopeful that it is only a temporary occurrence. The shaky lines are evident in all the new work I have been doing recently.




This final drawing for tonight is of Anemone blossoms. This variety is known as Anemone Coronaria. This is such a striking flower with such intriguing centres that I got very frustrated trying to express them artistically.


The different areas in the centre look like they have little fringes sticking out all around. To draw such things, my hands would have to be a lot steadier than they are these days! Oh, well, hopefully I have given the idea of how they look with the variety of colours used.

I didn't realize that this was going to end up being such a long posting. Hope you enjoy it.

Peace be with you all.

_________________
**Taken from the Catholic Encyclopeadia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only noticed the beautiful cross you created in the middle of the magnolia picture. I didn't notice that the edges weren't smooth. In the other picture, I'm sorry I forgot the name of the flower, but I only noticed the brillant red you used. All of your pictures are beautiful!I have enjoyed them so much and look forward to seeing more! Thank you for sharing your talent with us. Karen