Sunday, 8 February 2009

Do You Love Me?

Well, I finally finished an icon I have been working at for quite a while. I am calling it "Peter, do you love me?"

Originally, I wasn't sure which major event in the life of St. Peter I was going to emphasize with this particular icon. I thought about making it the scene where Our Lord Jesus says to Peter: "You are Peter and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

This is the passage, of course, that Catholics use to explain why St. Peter and his elected successors are the head of the church.

After some consideration, however, I decided to make the icon about that moment on the beach in St. John's gospel where Christ asks Peter three times if he loves him -- in a way helping St. Peter make amends for the three times he had denied Jesus on the night Our Lord was arrested.

So the icon shows the two of them standing on the shore while the other disciples are a distance away and as Peter assures Jesus that he loves him after each of the three questions, Our Lord replies: "Feed My Sheep (and my lambs)" He appears to be giving Peter, in spite of his sinfulness, the place of the chief shepherd of the flock -- the position that Jesus held while on earth.

I tried to make St. Peter look just a little bit uncomfortable -- I hope it worked. As always, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions you folks might have about ways to improve the drawing.


This next drawing came from a resort brochure. I added some things and moved some things about, but basically, the colours are similar. The colours, of course, drew me to the photo in the first place.

I thought about calling it "Street of Colour", but then I thought that perhaps "Siesta" might be a better name as that is what it makes me think of . It may not be great art, but it surely was a lot of fun to draw and colour -- almost like a colouring book!


I just finished a book last night entitled: "Against Medical Advice". It is really a well-done, true account of a young man growing up with a dual-diagnosis of Tourette's Syndrome and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The book has a reasonably happy ending, but I can't stop thinking about the story and the people I know with Tourette's and/or OCD -- both sources of such overpowering compulsions. If you are interested, the book is well worth reading.

Wishing you all a peaceful night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my view you accomplished your intent to make St. Peter look uncomfortable. In fact I could read into his facial expression and hands position that he could be attempting to make excuses. I appreciate the detail you added of the nail scars on Jesus' feet and hand. While I consider all of the icons you have posted to be quite beautiful, this one is very special.


Hylott

Anonymous said...

I agree with Hylott. The Icon is very good. For me, you capture the moment. Your work continues to be beautiful.

Brenda