Wednesday, 18 February 2009

A Flower and a Fisherman

This first drawing is fashioned from a couple of photographs taken by my friend, Hylott. I don't know if the flowers were grown by his wife, Patsy, but I wouldn't be the least little bit surprised if they were from her garden.

These are Althea blossoms so I call the piece "A Trinity of Althea".

I wish I could have seen these flowers "in person" before drawing them as the variation in colours was mostly a guess on my part as I did not know what was real and what was the colour balance of the camera. Hopefully I was able to leave you, the viewer, with a true sense of their beauty.



This second drawing is just a simple scene of a fisherman at that moment before his net hits the water. Poised and balanced on the edge of the boat, he has to be ready for anything from an empty net to a huge haul of fish.

I named the drawing "Just like Peter" because it made me think of the story of St. Peter and the night he and Andrew threw their net in over and over and caught nothing. Then Jesus came along and after talking to the crowds for a time from Peter's boat, he told Peter to cast out aways and throw in his net for a catch.


Peter said they had fished all night and caught nothing, but that if Jesus said to do it, he, Peter, would do whatever Jesus asked. So Peter rowed out just a bit and cast out his net one more time and within moments his net was so full of fish that he started yelling for his cousins, John and James to come and help before his net broke.

The net did not break and as the others arrived to help Peter turned to Jesus and fell on his knees, crying out: "depart from me for I am a sinful man". Jesus pulls him to his feet and says: "Follow me and I will make you a fisher of men."

All that from just one simple drawing.

The last item tonight may offend some of you. It is not a drawing of mine, but is an ad by Peta about Canada's annual seal hunt. I, personally, feel very strongly that there is no need for these young seals to be killed each year: No one needs their fur except the Native Peoples who live in that area who also eat the meat when they kill an animal. The seal hunters are just after the pelts and the meat rots on the snow. The fashionistas of the world can look elegant without killing wild animals and wearing their skins.

I have written to the government of Canada asking them to stop the hunts and pay the seal hunters the money they would make from a good year. They could also supply them with retraining programs so that in time they would have a new and better way to earn a living.




Maybe I am naive about all this, but I really don't think it is healthy for men and women to dull themselves to the fact that we live among all these creatures created by God and that even when we do have to kill for food and clothing, it should always be done with respect and gratitude. So goes my opinion anyway.

Well that is enough preaching from me for tonight.

May peace be yours.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to enjoy your blog. The drawing of the fisherman casting a net is, in my view, everything but simple as you stated. I'm attracted to it. Among other things, a net being cast in the hands of a person well trained in the art of doing so is a thing of grace and beauty . . . . . . to be able to effectively "throw" the net in such a controlled fashion so as to have it expand from the much smaller configuration when it leaves the caster's hand to fall into the water at full extension is not an easy thing to do. Many years ago I gave this a try surf casting for Mullet in the Gulf of Mexico. Despite many try's and the instruction of someone who had mastered the art, I could not do it. Along with that facet of my attraction to it is the name you gave it, which I like, and your masterful use of color. Thanks for drawing an posting the Althea blossoms. Your rendition is beautiful! I share your stated disdain for the slaughter of baby seals just to harvest their pelts for sale. In fact, I strongly disapprove of the killing of any animal for such purpose. Hylott

Amra Porobic said...

I liked your icon "Just like Peter". Your interpretation of net is truly artistic. The moment of casting is really well captured. A.