Friday, 20 February 2009

A Flower from a Friend

I consider myself to be a very fortunate woman.

There are three men in my life at present who are all excellent photographers and who are freely sharing their photographs with me. There is my friend, Hylott (with his wife, Patsy, the gardener), in Birmingham, Alabama and my friends, Glen and Michael, both in Toronto.

The drawing above comes from a photograph taken by Michael in his garden . It's an Arizona Blanket Flower which I have named "Sunburst". I am not sure if it is so colourful in real life; however, the light in the photo taken by Michael made it look that way to me. You can count on seeing more drawings from Michael's photos in the future.

Next, I want to show you what can happen when people do make helpful comments about my drawings. The statement below came from a much longer email from my friend, Eugene, and really got me to thinking about the icon I showed you back on Feb. 16th. The photo, taken by my friend, Glen, and the paragraph below from Eugene, go together.

Photo by Glen Keay

"Now, a word about the painting itself: I really think it is too dark. The purplish-blue of the water would contrast more with the boat, if it were lighter - perhaps more greens. As well the sky (although I know you want it to look "stormy") is too dark. Many years ago, Glen took a picture of a stormy ocean at Bonita Beach on the gulf coast of Florida, which I am going to try and send you by way of attachment - which is something like I am thinking of."
(from Eugene's email of Feb. 19)

So, here you see the revised version of "Be Not Afraid" which, according to Eugene and Glen, is much more effective than the original. What do you think?

This is exactly why I am always asking for input from my readers. You really don't have to be an artist to be able to say whether you like something or dislike something and why!

The last item is another posting by me about one of my major concerns these days: letting the war resisters stay in Canada. As an American who came to this country with a "war resister" back in the late 1960's, I want everyone to have the right to stay here and prosper as I did.
If you are able to attend, please do so. The war resisters, just like the U.S. president, "love this country" and they didn't come just to visit, they want to put down roots here.

May peace be with you all.

No comments: