Thursday, 12 February 2009

A Woman's Prerogative

The old saying goes: "It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind" and so I am exercising my prerogative to change my mind!

You may not realize this, but I have still not completely made up my mind regarding my 20 Rosary icons. The one of the Visitation above is an example.
I have once again reworked the elements of the icon and this time I think I may be satisfied with the results.
The progression has gone like this:


The first Visitation icon I drew was this one. I got the idea for it from a web site that has a number of modern icons. At the time I was pleased with it but the lack of colour and the smallness of the figures in a two-person icon begin to bother me.

So then I tried a new approach. I came across a drawing where the Blessed Mother and her cousin Elizabeth appeared very large with no real background -- I decided to add the traditional background. At first I thought that I had found the drawing that I wanted, but over time it, too, begin to bother me --

I now felt the figures were too large.

I began to work on this icon again a few weeks ago and finally came up with the design that you see at the top of this column. Once again I feel better about the finished results although it is quite possible I will change my mind again!!

The image at the beginning of this post has three door-shaped rings around Blessed Mary and Elizabeth as though they are standing in a doorway, greeting one another with great love and joy. Elizabeth's clothing is supposed to represent the fact that she and her baby in her womb are both filled with the Holy Spirit at the moment Mary with Jesus in her womb embrace them.

Also by making the figures a bit smaller, the background images seem a bit more natural in relation. The Greek word at the top stands for Visitation while the names of St. Elizabeth and the Blessed Virgin Mary are in Greek at their sides.

As always, I would appreciate your thoughts on this. With this many changes over a number of months, I am beginning to lose any objectivity I might have had in the beginning.

I hope everyone is doing OK and enjoying the warmer weather we have been having.

Peace be with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my comment before about the Blessed Mother and Elizabeth, when I said the first one, I am referring to the one that appears first when I read your Blog. It wasn't the first one you painted. And you are right! A woman can change her mind, many times.

Brenda